Sunday, July 31, 2011

Snarky Sunday: Epic Fail

Can we all make a promise to ourselves to stop using the word epic when the event being described is in fact, not epic? For example:

I just drove through some epic traffic.

No, you didn’t. There is nothing epic about standard daily rush hour traffic.

That party last night was epic!

- Really? Did they have elephants and tigers walking through the house like in some crazy music video? Did someone die from a drug overdose? No? Then it probably wasn’t epic. Just because the police showed up because your neighbor complained does not make it epic – it makes it a regular party, similar to the one I had at my parents’ house when I was seventeen.

That movie was epic!

- Sorry to break it to you, but it probably wasn’t. The only movie that was epic, was probably the first movie ever played in the history of movies. After that, they are kind of all the same. Sure, I love Twilight as much as the next girl (team Jacob!), but I can’t say that it’s an epic movie. (Obviously).

Epic Fail
-

Missing your stop on the bus because you were texting? Not an epic fail. Forgetting to pick up milk on the way home? Not an epic fail. Forgetting to pick your kid up from the bus stop because you were getting milk? That could potentially be considered an epic fail.

My point is, stop overstating things people. Unless there was some huge catastrophe, tragedy, or elephants and tigers involved, find a different adjective.

3 comments:

  1. Um, if I stopped overstating things I'd pretty much have to stop talking because overstating is what you love most about me. :) PS - Titanic - epic movie as it was really long. An hour to come down sulphur mountain to Banff Avenue in Banff yesterday? EPIC traffic. And this was an epically snarky post. well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahaha - would a typo in my user name also qualify as an epic fail??

    ReplyDelete
  3. Epic post! It had tigers and elephants ;)

    But seriously, I do agree!

    ReplyDelete