Sunday, October 23, 2011

Snarky Sunday: Can I Take Your Order Please?

How frustrating is it when you are in line at a restaurant (i.e. McDonalds, Starbucks, Tim Horton’s) and the person in front of you is taking twenty years to figure out their order? Honestly, I could strangle them. It irritates me so much. It’s like, what else are you going to order at McDonald’s but a freaking Big Mac? And really, if you’re at a Starbucks, chances are it isn’t your first time, so today isn’t going to be the day that you try something new – just get your regular drink and move to the side.

A “gourmet” donut shop opened in our city and I wanted to see what the fuss was about, so one day when we were going to our cousins’ house for brunch, my husband and I went there to pick up some donuts for everyone. First of all, the place was a joke. I was so irritated just by walking in there – it was all modern and pink and lame, and took itself way to seriously about how awesome and cool it was. Shut up, donut shop. You sell overpriced donuts in a craft box to hipsters – you aren’t as cool as you think you are.

There were two women in front of us (they were together), and two people behind the counter. They had probably 8 different flavours of donuts on sale. They were talking to the cashier/donut wrangler and asking what the best donut was, and what would they recommend, and which is the most popular. And then the employee went into detail about every single donut and the ingredients, and how everything was natural, and home made and blah, blah, blah. I wanted to tap them on the shoulder and tell them that my husband was about two minutes away from turning into the Incredible Hulk and was going to flip the counter over if they didn’t hurry the fuck up and pick something. Of course, after all of the fuss, they ended up getting two of each flavour. Seriously? There are people behind you waiting – make up your damn mind! I get if there isn’t a line – sure, take your time, but when people are waiting – chop, chop people, let’s get moving!

4 comments:

  1. Hehe.. hipster donuts... what is the world coming to? I totally feel your pain... I just waited in line behind someone at a coffee place who was asking how many calories were in the whipped cream.

    ReplyDelete
  2. DIM! I saw David Sedaris last night and at one point he read from his diary.. and one whole entry was devoted to waiting behind an obnoxiously slow couple at Starbucks. It totally made me think of you :) So at least you're in good company with your intense rage ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. most importantly - were the donuts worth the wait? like, are they really any better than tim horton's? secondly, so totally agree. finally, julie - you don't know me but i hear david sedaris. he's even snarkier than sister here...

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ Julie - So jealous you went and saw him - he was here once, and I couldn't be bothered to drive across the city to see him. His books are hilarious though.

    @ Anon - no, they weren't worth it. They were fine I guess, but the ultimate donut for me is a maple flavored donut from Safeway, and these didn't come close...

    ReplyDelete