Sunday, October 2, 2011

Snarky Sunday: Social Media

I love the internet. I think it's awesome. I love that I can "meet" people on the internet, try and build an online invitation business and keep in touch with long lost friends through Facebook.

However.

How annoying is it when you are on Facebook and your friends have updated their fifteenth status update of the day, and it is riddled with spelling errors? I'm not talking about a typo here and there, I'm talking about words spelled totally incorrectly, and no * in the comments to indicate they realize their mistake. Drives me bananas. Even more grating is when you're on Twitter and you follow someone famous, and their tweets are riddled with errors.

I follow Nina Dobrev from Vampire Diaries. I love her, I love the show, I love that she is dating Damon in real life. I think they are awesome. I wonder if it's awkward on the set with them and Stefan, considering in real life she's dating one brother, and on the show, she's in love with another? It just seems like there might be some tension there, trying to balance her real love life with her love life on a scripted television show. About vampires. ANYWAY. The other day she tweeted "Absolute power corrupts absolutely." Don't get me started on people who use famous quotes or inspirational messages as their status updates/tweets, but then she went and attributed the quote to none other then Leonardo Dicaprio. Is she kidding me? I love Leo as much as the next girl - I could probably recite the words to his version of Romeo and Juliet because I only saw it about 25 times when I was in grade 10, but I am pretty sure we shouldn't be giving him credit for that quote. Low and behold, a quick Google search indicates it was someone named Lord Anton.

And this is the problem with the internet. All the filters are down. There is no hiding behind an aura of mystery or coolness. People are too accessible. Like is it really so hard to run a spell check, or do a quick Google search and (make an attempt) to check facts? The same thing that makes the internet amazing is the same thing that is destroying it. IT'S LIKE WE'RE KILLING THE INTERNET!

1 comment:

  1. hahaha....killing the internet. that would be our world war III. and instead of people killing each other, we would all just commit suicide, because without the internet, what reason would you have to go on really? i wonder if future generations would refer to it as "social suicide"?
    i love damon. i love nina. i wish i were a scripted vampire.

    ReplyDelete